Monday 7 February 2011

Works in progress

This is just going to be short blog post showing some of the work I have recently been doing as a lot of the recent blog posts that I have done have been about games in general and not so much on what I have been doing at Uni... So here we go on an update...

Design Methods
In this module we are currently working on creating characters, thinking about their personalities and interactions and whatnot (perfect for me as I love this sort of thing anyway and have numerous sketch-pads of game ideas to draw upon). At this stage I have only drawn the characters - I haven't sorted out anything else such as their history or relation to one another... not even their names...

Character 1

Character 2

So that's them... there's also a flash version of the first character as I'm still debating if I will leave them as hand-drawn or whether to convert them... Here it is...

Scripting
Not a lot to say here really, the ability to code still greatly eludes me - I just can't get it... So in the mean time I have been doing some of the artwork ready for the game (it's a tower defence based around my halls of residence, with the enemies being the managers and the units being my mates here). I've done a mock-up of how I expect the game screen to look and drawn artwork for the basic unit (my mate Matt Davis who attacks with strings of Lololololololololols) which has lighting problems that have resulted in the black areas. Here they are...

Screen
Matt Unit
3D Modelling
Not much to say about 3D modelling as we've only just started it... we've got to pick a household object or something similar and re-create it in 3DS max. It's quite fun and interesting to do but it also seems really quite hard at the same time, hopefully though over time things will become easier to do and start to become second nature. The object that I think I will make is a rubber duck that I own.

Group Project
There's a lot to say here, but ultimately we made a working model of the first level in our game - it has/had its bugs but it was a playable representation of what we were trying to achieve. The concept of the game is to complete a circuit, simple enough really but the coding is evil (not that I worked on it as I'm the art guy). Below are pictures of the game screens that I made (a lot of in-game art in our game is 3D images so I really just make interface stuff) - some of these were edited by our complier before they entered the game but the pictures are what I made.

Level Select


Main Game Screen


Medal Rewards


Options Screen


Victory Screen

So that's it for this blog post... you have now been updated as to my uni work... I am currently working on my next full-length blog post as well - it will talk about the pros and cons (mostly cons and me complaining) of game series as they develop and change.

So, 'til next time - that's all folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment